Engineering Team Leader SupportGet the help and materials you need to guide your team
You already have a pretty good idea of the new skills and practices that your team needs. Perhaps they have already taken one of ICONDA’s training courses and you wish to help them realise the full potential of the tools and methods learned? So what’s holding you back?
Lack of time, for a start!
Given enough of it, you might create activities and materials, coach your team, give people more individual support and do everything necessary to lead them to higher ground – perhaps with some false turns and a few route corrections on the way.
ICONDA’s Team Leader Support puts you in a position to do these things by providing necessary processes and materials then coaching you to use them effectively.
In fact, we use the ICON9 toolset to facilitate the coaching process, ensuring complete consistency between our end goal – enabling your team to achieve higher performance – and the means employed to reach that goal.
If you don’t already know ICON9, don’t worry. Its tools are very simple and can be learnt as needed; and we employ plenty of other complementary tools and methods too.
The objectives of each support session are agreed with your coach at the start of that session (see below for details). With this in mind, here are some examples of topics that often come up:
- Helping the team become more proactive with respect to customer needs
- Engineering teams are often great at reacting to and solving problems but less effective when it comes to anticipating issues and opportunities
- Encouraging team members to push client conversations outside of their comfort zones
- In order to discover commercially valuable information – as trusted advisors, customer-facing engineers are in a great position to do this
- Deploying a complex new product, tool or methodology to a client
- Helping engineers with their customer interaction and presentation skills
- Resolving communication problems
- With customers, with internal services, within the team, …
- And much more
- A strong alliance with your coach is a tremendous professional asset, allowing you to resolve issues more effectively and to learn new things in the process
Who can benefit from Engineering Team Leader Support?
ETL Support is primarily aimed at Engineering Team Leaders/Managers: Guiding development and field operations and wishing to improve processes and outcomes. In FAE Managers and Sales Managers, for example, these roles are often combined with others mentioned below.
In addition, ETL Support may be considered for people in the following roles whose work requires that they adopt a strong leadership posture:
Field Applications Engineers (FAEs): Working to balance multiple, often conflicting, requirements in both pre-sales and post-sales roles.
Engineering Consultants: Working with clients from specification through to the delivery of services and custom products. Their work is a mix of direct intervention, training and teaching by example.
Applications and Product Engineers: Working in an office, lab or factory setting, liaising between Design / Research & Development (R&D) teams and field staff, with remote customer contact and perhaps some occasional face-to-face communication.
Design/R&D Engineers: Strongly focused on development tasks, but with a need to transfer their knowledge efficiently to their colleagues and customers.
Sales and Marketing Engineers: Commercially oriented but with strong technical backgrounds, they need to excel in all aspects of communication: to understand clients, to inform them and to negotiate with them.
Support Session Details
Sessions of approx. 90 mins, usually remote:
- Inclusion, Topic choice, Work, Wrap up
Fish and Fishing Rod modes:
- You receive ideas and collateral for immediate use
- We can also contribute directly, giving training to your team, for example
- Fishing Rod
- We work together on your ideas and needs
- You learn more about how to coach and train
Advantages for Your Organisation
From the sponsoring organisation’s point of view, this coaching format offers considerable advantages:
- Learning deployment through manager-leaders is economical
- Leader-managers augment their coaching skills at the same time as getting help on specific team needs
- The coaching is easy to organize
- It allows a wide range of subjects to be dealt with efficiently and effectively.
The ICONDA Advantage
- A confirmed trainer and qualified coach (Institut Maieutis, level 2, code NSF 315, European level CEC: 6), certified in Process Communication by Kahler Communication France
- Over 25 year’s experience in high-tech industry, in Semiconductor, Electronic Design Automation (EDA) and associated software
- In-depth experience in both design roles and in the field (Sales, Marketing and Applications).
Engineering Team Leader Support and its benefits
- Processes are adapted to individual manager-leaders
- Long experience with coaching and training allow a flexible approach, adapted to each coachee and the needs of the day
- ICONDA’s considerable database of training material and activities is available to support a wide variety of needs, freeing manager-leaders from the need to create new collateral.